So after experiencing heat damage on my natural hair by bad practices using a hooded hair bonnet hair dryer attachment and hair dryer. During Lockdown 1 in 2020, due to not having the hair dryer on the lowest heat setting. Because I was thinking in my head ” increase the heat, so the deep conditioner can work better into my hair strands”. But “I’m experiencing some pain on my edges” this happened but I just pushed through it. Like I said or the thought pattern in my head “it’s making the deep conditioner work better”. BIG MISTAKE !!!!!!! My advice if your’re experiencing pain while using heated tools, STOP using them straight away. Sadly I did this bad practice a few times.
So heat damage was caused and I stopped using the hooded hair bonnet hair dryer attachment with the hair dryer. And started to use a plastic cap and turban towel on my head during the deep conditioning process. I would have these on my head for under 1 hour to get the effects of deep contidioning, my head heat insulated aiding the deep conditioner to work better on my hair under the plastic cap and towel.
WHY DO I ADD HEAT WHEN DEEP CONDITIONING MY NATURAL HAIR?
Well I have low porosity hair, and by adding heat while deep conditioning helps the product to penetrating into hair follicles more, than for it to just sit on hair strands. With having low porosity hair it has differculties absorbing and keeping in moisture. Hence why low porosity hair is prone to loss of moisture quicker.
But I have recently discovered a new safe way to add heat safely to my natural hair while deep conditioning my hair. The product in question is called LAVACAP. Using this cap I’m able to deep condition my hair safely with heat, without the risk of getting heat damage on my hair.
HOW DO I USE A LAVACAP?
Well it’s a microwave heated cap. I pop it in the microwave for under 2 minutes to warm it up. I firstly have a plastic cap on my head, then I pop the LAVACAP onto my hair. A plastic cap is used first so not to get the LAVACAP messy with the deep conditioner product. I keep the LAVACAP on my head for around 30 minutes, for it to work it’s magic on my natural hair.
The LAVACAP is made from a fabric material and has natural Flaxseeds inside, that will warm up when put in the microwave, for the aquired time (under 2 minutes).
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF DEEP CONDITIONING YOUR NATURAL HAIR WITH HEAT?
Here are a few benefits –
- It can reduce hair breakages, especially if your hair was previously prone to breaking a lot. Because if your hair is dry and brittle, it’s more likely to break, than if your hair is moisturised on a regular bases, and given a added boost during the deep conditioning process.
- It balances the protein – moisture in your hair, as there sometimes can be a inbalance of protein and moisture in your hair. If your hair strands is lacking in protein and moisture it can become limp and lifeless, and/or just more difficult to manage in general, due to lacking in moisture.
- By deep conditioning your hair regular, it helps keep your hair strands more hydrated. Hydration means moisture, this is beneficial in a good hair care routine.
- When you deep condition your hair it also provides more shine and moisture to your hair. And you can actually notice the difference, when you run your fingers through your hair after you have deep conditioned your hair. Making your hair more manageable to style afterwards.
- Deep conditioning your hair can also prevent split ends. Having a good moisturisation system in place is I repeat beneficial to having and maintaining healthy strong hair. Split ends can be caused by many reasons including hair being dry, and brittle. Bad hair practices including excessive use of heated tools such as blow dryers, hair straighteners and hair curlers (curling tongs). And split ends can also happen using chemical hair products in your hair (hair relaxers).
- Deep conditioning your hair can also improve hair elasticity, which will make your hair more manageable to look after. And improve the overall health of your hair, also bringing curls back to life.
Using a LAVACAP compared to a hooded hair bonnet hair dryer attachment. The heat is more safer. Using a hooded hair bonnet hair dryer attachment heat is just continuosly hot and doesn’t really circulate effectively inside and the heat is more on some parts on the hair that other parts of the hair.
Using the LAVACAP the heat will cool down, but heat is insulated in the cap and doesn’t come out. And cuts the deep conditioning time down.
NO RISK OF OVERHEATING YOUR HAIR – NO HEAT DAMAGE
And using the LAVACAP is just better to use in general and easy to use. And is comfortable on my head.
DO YOU ADD HEAT WHEN DEEP CONDITIONING YOUR HAIR? WHAT DO YOU USE?
I also have a discount code, if you would like to purchase a LAVACAP in the future MISSYBEE10
In my opinion having a LAVACAP is a great investment for you hair care routine.