So I felt I had to make a post about the UK Lockdown update. Not something that I touch upon much on my blog. But because it feels like us people in the UK have been in a Lockdown for which seems like forever now. Even though there has only been 3 Lockdowns in the UK, since March 2020, to put it lightly.
Well my UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has spoken again today 22.02.2021. There is light at the end of this long long tunnel. Boris explained in his announcement about a FOUR STEP roadmap out of Lockdown. To get the UK society (people) out off Lockdown and easing the restrictions.
After reviewing COVID related data (information) to assess the impact of the UK restrictions by the following factors –
- The vaccine rollout
- Evidence that the vaccine is effective, by reducing hospitalisations and deaths
- Case numbers not rising fast
- and New variants strains from COVID-19 not causing unforeseen risks
By the information gathered from above, Boris was able to update us today with his FOUR STEP ROADMAP. But delays may still occur if the data changes, for the worse from now and in March.
STEP ONE (PART ONE)
On the 8th of March
- All schools and colleges will REOPEN, including after school clubs.
- People will be allowed to meet one other person from outside their household to socialise outdoors.
- The stay at home order will still be in place.
MY TAKEAWAY – Parents will be glad for normality for children to go back to school or college. We still have to stay indoors unless it’s for essential shopping, work or partaking in exercise outside, as in daily walks. And that we can socialise with one other person outside.
STEP 1 (PART TWO)
From 29th March the earliest
- Outdoor sport facilities will reopen, such as football pitches, tennis courts and so on.
- People will be allowed to meet more people outside in parks and gardens, either under the “RULE OF SIX” or between TWO households.
- The stay at home order will END.
MY TAKEAWAY – First of all FREEDOM!!!!!!!!. Being allowed to meet up with more people outside, and proper outdoor fitness activities can resume. All sound good to me.
12th April the earliest
- Non-essential retail shops, hairdressers and barbers, nail salons, museums, libraries and outdoor attractions will REOPEN.
- Indoor leisure facilities such as Gyms, will REOPEN.
- Funerals with up to 30 people will continue and the number of Wedding guests will rise from 6 to 15.
- Hospitality venues can REOPEN, but only for outdoor service. So pubs and restaurants can only serve customers outside under the RULE OF SIX or TWO HOUSEHOLD rule.
- Hospitality venues won’t have the substantial meal requirement, to purchase alcohol as before. And NO CURFEWS will be imposed.
- Self contained holidays in the UK, such as campsites and holiday lets, where indoor facilities are not shared between households, will be allowed for households.
MY TAKEAWAY – I’m glad to hear that non-essential shops will open back in April, as long as March is good month. The Gyms plan to open back, so those people who have missed the routine off going to the Gym will be happy. Outside service at restaurants is good news, and the weather should hopefully be better in April. I’m unsure about their being no curfew, but lets see how it goes. And people are or will be safe to actually plan UK getaways in April. Easter fall on the 4th of April in the UK this year, before the 12th. Good news for those who have planned weddings in April because they can now have more guests.
From 17th May earliest
- Gatherings of more than 30 people will remain ILLEGAL
- Sporting events will be able to resume with limited (small) crowds.
- 30 people will be able to attend weddings, receptions, wakes, funerals, christenings, bar mitzvahs, and other life events.
- Indoor hospitality can REOPEN, including entertainment venues such as cinemas.
- Most restrictions on outdoor socialising will be REMOVED and 2 households or groups of people upto 6 will be allowed to mix INDOORS.
MY TAKEAWAY – Sports fanatics will be delighted to actually be able to be at Live sport events. Cinemas will REOPEN, but I’m guessing cinema venues will have to invest in upgrades including the air-conditioning systems. You really don’t want to be sitting in a screen breathing in other peoples air and unsuspected COVID-19. Great news that more people can participate at life events ( upto 30 people). And lastly less restrictions socialising with others people.
21st June the earliest
- All limits on social contact to be REMOVED both indoors and outdoors.
- Larger events can go ahead, and other businesses which were previously closed, can now REOPEN such as nightclubs.
MY TAKEAWAY – Looks like we will be back to some sort of normality, but not to forget to wear facemasks when meeded. I’m liking the sound that larger events can take place, as long as they are outside for me.
News about international travel will be announced at a future date.
Resource for information Glamour magazine