So being that I have natural hair and spoke about this in a past podcast episode last year. I thought it would be good to write a blog also to share the knowledge. Oh by the way I am a natural hair blogger, I have type 4b-4c short hair close to shoulder length. I have been creating content about natural hair for a couple of years, mainly on my Youtube channel MISSYBEELONDON. And my Instagram page MISSYBEELONDON. I don’t have all the answers but like I said sharing my knowledge below
- Understand your hair porosity. High porosity hair absorbs moisture easier, but losses it quickly too. Low porosity hair finds its hard to absorb moisture and retain it. So it’s good to know what products work good for your hair.
- Do/are you drinking enough water during the day? The human body in made up of 50% to 70% water. The body needs a sufficient amount water to function properly.
- What hairstyles are you styling in your hair? are they protective hairstyles? Bad hair manipulation causes hair tension which leads to breakage and hair loss
- Are you incorporating healthy foods in your diet? are you getting enough sleep per day? are you incorporating exercise regular in your lifestyle? These factors affect hair growth
- Are you working out regular? Do you sweat regular on your head? If you have answered YES to both questions, you should be washing your hair more regular. As sweat contains Lactic acid which is not good for hair growth, but hinders it. I would suggest to rotate between using a co-wash and using a normal shampoo each wash day
- Are you taking any medication? check the side effects and if they are having effects on you. I myself was taking painkillers for a long period from summer last year till early this year everyday, even though it was ibruprofen, it was still the fact of taking it for a long period due to a injury. My hair was not the best during this time
- Do you have a good diet? could you be lacking in vitamins or nutrients. I myself don’t eat fish so I take Cod liver oil capsules. And because I don’t eat much fruit, but getting better now with making fruit smoothies, I would take Vitamin C tablets. My diet is lacking in Vitamin B so I also take supplements for this. THINK ABOUT YOUR DIET!!! What are you lacking in?
ARE YOU STRESSED?
- What is going on in your life right now? Stress can effect hair growth
- Are you using the right hair products i your hair? Watch out for products containing bad alcohols that can dry your hair. Get to know and understand ingredients in hair products
- Are you looking after your edges? Tension from doing certain hairstyles can lead to breakage and hair loss (repeating from HAIRSTYLES)
- What is your hair routine? Are you washing your hair regular? are you moisturising your hair regular? Do you sleep with a satin hair bonnet on your head or a satin pillowcase? Satin helps your hair to keep the moisture in when you are sleeping.
- How regular do you deep condition your hair? Do you deep condition your hair? I like to deep condition my hair with or without heat every wash day
- Do research on DIY hair treatments, and its good to make DIY treatment. Plus you actually know the ingredients in the treatment. I must admit I was lazy doing diys, but of lately been starting to incorporate natural ingredients to my haircare routine. Also doing diys you can save money. Examples honey, eggs, avocado, bananas, aloe vera leaf these are just a few to use.
INTOLERANCE TO FOODS AND INGREDIENTS
- Is your body intolerant to any food or ingredients? For me I randomly can not eat coconut, which is odd. But as we get older the body becomes intolerant to more things. The body will react if it dosen’t like something.
- Are you lacking in Iron? Again look at your diet. Search foods that are rich in Iron, are you eating these foods? you can also ask your doctors for a blood test, just to check your blood and if you are low on anything. Iron help with the production of Hemoglobin in the blood. Hemoglobin carries oxygen for the growth and repair of cells in your body, including hair.
- What do you have on your head when you sleep? Check (HAIR ROUTINE) I wear a satin hair bonnet to sleep in.
Wearing my new satin hair bonnet
MOISTURISING YOUR HAIR
- Do you moisturise your hair regular? in between wash days? How? What do you use? With water or without? It is best to moisturise your hair regular. With water based moisturising hair products.
- In between wash days what water are you using in your hair? PLEASE DO NOT SAY TAP WATER!!!!! If you do not drink water directly from the tap, why would you let it settle on your hair? Good water for your hair are DISTILLED WATER, BOTTLED WATER, and ROSE WATER
- Are you massaging your scalp regular? It is very good to do to stimulate blood flow to the head to promote hair growth.
- Are you using the right type of products for your hair? Products that actually moisture your hair, not just for looks. Gels make a hairstyle look good, but don’t actually moisturise your hair. And are you using them consistently? Re-applying when your hair is dry.
Some of my fave styling products from ASIAM, Shea Moisture and ORS
- Remember your ends too, they need loving too. They are the quickest part of your hair to be dry too. Add a little shea butter to your ends.
- Good hair oils to use in your hair are Olive oil, Avocado oil, and Coconut oil. These oils penetrate into the hair shafts not just coat the hair strands.
- Now this is something you should not be doing regular, but depends on how you have your hair. Also it is best to detangle your hair when damp. Spritz with water or apply a hair moisturiser or detangler before detangling.
There is more advice, but will leave it for another post.
Lets stay connected.
Find me on Instagram MISSYBEELONDON
Find me on Facebook MISSYBEELONDON